HORIZON’S EAST HORSE PURCHASE PROCESS
Going to try horses is an arduous process…
In the beginning we first discuss budget and expectation. All horses/ponies have different values depending on age, show record, and ride ability and movement
We make contact with various trainers, brokers, and breeders to assess what is available for the level of riders we are looking for. It may take a great deal of leg work, conversations, watching videos and talking to many people to locate horses that are for sale
We may take you to horse shows to watch the horses we are interested in, or go to other stable to try horses. If we feel the horse might be a good fit, we will TRY and bring it to our stables for a few days to see how the buyer and horse get along. (Not every owner will allow a horse to be sent on trial.)
COSTS CLIENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Day charge off site is for the trainer to advise, coach and ride @ $200 PER DAY per student.
- Out of pocket expenses vary depending on your travel, gas, hotel, air fare, food, etc.
- When the client brings a horse in on trial, the day charge will be $70 which includes board/grooming/pro ride/ and or a lesson each day.
- You may be asked by the seller to sign a Trial agreement, or to pay for a week of insurance when the horse is in your care.
- If you want to proceed then the vetting is set up. We will advise and guide you through the vetting process. (Vets require a credit card on file prior to your appointment.) You may attend the vetting one of our staff will always attend the vetting also.
- The price can be negotiated at the conclusion of the vetting. Not every owner will accept an offer.
- Normally you are responsible for the delivery to our stables and the return cost if you are not purchasing.
- Any costs that may be incurred during the trial, such as shoeing, etc. is up to you to pay. An owner expects a horse returned in the condition it was sent for trial.
- There will also be a commission charge of 15% on the sale price of the horse. This covers all our work done on our client’s behalf to find a suitable horse. If the sale price of the horse is $10,000 or less the commission will be a flat $1,000.
- Your Day charge will be deducted from your commission at the conclusion of your sale.
- Industry standard trainers get from 10%-20% depending on location and employees. Commissions are not negotiable so budget your Shopping price including the commission.
- Bill of sale, registration papers, medical history gathered by the trainer for the client.